Family of Astroworld victim John Hilgert, 14, Sue Travis Scott and Demand Changes

(Photo: courtesy of Hilgert Family)

(Photo: courtesy of Hilgert Family)

The family of John Hilgert, a 14-year-old high school freshman who died at the Astroworld festival, has filed a lawsuit against Travis Scott and others – and demanded “changes.”

The complaint, filed on Wednesday and received by PEOPLE, lists Scott, 30, of Live Nation Worldwide and its subsidiaries, including Scoremore LLC, and others.

The lawsuit alleges that the defendants “neglected their duty to protect the health, safety and lives of the concert attendees” and highlight what the plaintiffs describe as failures in safety and crowd management.

The lawsuit also alleges that “gross negligence” and “negligent neglect” of Hilgert’s safety – named JWH in court documents – resulted in “his injuries and subsequent death.”

“Defendants are grossly neglecting their duty to protect the health, safety and lives of concert attendees, including but not limited to failing to provide adequate security personnel to carry out crowd control measures, proper barricades and failure to provide adequate first aid,” the lawsuit claims.

CAUSE: Texas High School freshman John Hilgert, 14, identified as Astroworld’s youngest victim: “Terrible loss”

(Image: Amy Harris / Invision / AP / Shutterstock)

(Image: Amy Harris / Invision / AP / Shutterstock)

According to a press release, John’s parents, Chris and Nichole Hilgert, say they want to overhaul concert arrangements, starting with safety standards, available medical facilities and removing poorly designed public seats instead of designated seats.

“The pain of losing because our son John couldn’t get home alive from an event like this is unbearable. He was a beautiful young man who just wanted to enjoy his first concert event with friends he appreciated spending more time than anything else,” Chris said. in its opinion.

“No one should ever feel this pain because of a loved one attending a live concert,” he said. “Our only goal in bringing this lawsuit is to prevent this type of tragedy from happening again in a live concert. There is no excuse for the poor audience planning, performance and unresponsiveness at this festival, which resulted in the tragic deaths of our son and nine others and numerous other innocently injured.”

He added: “If this lawsuit prevents even one family from experiencing the extreme pain and suffering we have endured, it is the least we can do to honor John’s memory.”

Family lawyer Richard Mithoff also filed a lawsuit on behalf of Adam and Jennifer Cox, the parents of John’s friend, with whom he attended the festival and who is named BC in the lawsuit.

According to the family, another boy was also injured during the festival’s audience. Both lawsuits demand negligence and gross negligence on the part of all defendants and claim damages of $ 1 million.

“No one should die going to a concert,” Mithoff said in a statement.

Several lawsuits have been filed in connection with the Astroworld chaos.

On November 17, Scott was named in a $ 750 million complaint on behalf of 125 Astroworld festival victims, including the family of 21-year-old Axel Acosta, who died after a cardiac arrest in a crush.

In an earlier statement, Live Nation said they will “continue to support and assist local authorities in their ongoing investigation so that both participating fans and their families can get the answers they want and deserve, and we will handle all legal matters in the right place. Time.”

RELATED: Astroworld Medical Staff Takes Care of 11 People With Cardiac Arrest At Once, ParaDocs CEO Says “Impossible Achievement”

Meanwhile, Scott’s attorney Edwin F. McPherson appeared earlier this month Good morning America and said that “apparently there was a systemic disorder that we need to get to the core before we start pointing a finger at anyone.”

McPherson claimed at the time that the mass victim announcement issued by the authorities that night “really” did not reach the 30-year-old rapper or his team as the artist continued the performance. “In fact,” McPherson claimed, “we’ve seen video footage of the police half an hour later just walking around and it didn’t look like it was a mass accident.”

Following the incident, Scott released a series of videos on his Instagram Story account on Nov. 6 saying he was “horrified” by what happened in his performance and promising to help the families of the victims. “I’m honestly quite upset and I could never imagine anything like this happening,” Scott said at the time.

A source close to the musician previously told PEOPLE that Scott did not know the extent of the situation while on stage. “The lights were shining in his eyes and he couldn’t see what was happening,” the source said. “He thought someone had just fainted about what was going on during the concerts.”

This week, Scott was seen in public for the first time since the festival’s tragedy. The rapper was was photographed spends time with Mark Wahlberg, Corey Gamble, and Michael Jordan in Southern California.

Nine other concert-goers have died from their injuries at Astroworld, including Jacob Jurinek, 21; John Hilgert, 14; Brianna Rodriguez, 16; Franco Patiño, 21; Ezra Blount, 9; Rudy Peña, 23; Madison Dubiski, 23; Danish Baig, 27; and Bharti Shahani, 22.

Leave a Comment