Major flood in Scone when homes and police station in Cassilis were evacuated due to severe weather | Newcastle Herald

newsletters, supplier selection list,

The state emergency service has turned its attention tightly to the Hunter River as it continues to rise in Aberdeen after the great floods in Scone and the evacuations of Cassilis. SES Superintendent Graeme Craig said the height of Kingdon Ponds rose very quickly early Friday morning after heavy rains that led to heavy flooding. “It sat at an altitude of 50 centimeters overnight, now it’s 3.8 meters high, which happened in a couple of hours,” he said. SES had to carry out three flood rescues at Scone – two people stuck in cars and one from a property that was surrounded by water. The Scone Race Club has also opened for residents to use to protect horses or place them on higher ground. Heavy rain hit Upper Hunter on Friday morning, and Superintendent Craig said it had created additional challenges because some of the worst-hit areas did not have rain gauges. Six properties in Cassilis, including a police station, were flooded and had to be evacuated. There have been more than 150 requests for help in the Hunter and Central Coast region on Friday. Property manager Craig said rain was starting to go downstream, and SES crews were “preparing for the worst but hoping for the best” in Lower Hunter, where a mild to moderate flood warning is still in place. “We are ready for any situation that comes up in the coming days,” he said. “The rain hasn’t been very bad at the lower end of Hunter. There is a risk of moderate flooding, but with enough rainfall that can quickly turn into a big one.” Several major roads have been affected, and Live Traffic NSW reports that the New England Highway in Wittingham is closed in both directions and the southbound lane on Maitland Road is closed in Hexham. Heddon Greta Drive-in has canceled all screenings on Friday and Saturday because the ground is completely watered and very slippery and poses a security risk. “Also, to be honest, we’ve only sold a handful of tickets,” the drive-in wrote on Facebook. “Let’s hope the rain stops next weekend.” It comes after Hunter was issued a severe weather warning on Friday in which thunderstorms caused harmful winds and heavy rains that could lead to sudden flooding. The NSW State Emergency Service number 132 500 is now operational again after a technical problem that occurred on Thursday night. SES advises that people should: Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. Here’s how to continue to access our trusted content:



Leave a Comment